Thursday, May 19, 2011

20 Things you may not know about Jennie Dickson


1) My first house ever, as a brand new little baby, was on Goldston Avenue in Carrboro. 
2) I had a pair of sunglasses with rhinestones when I was little I called my "glamor glasses." 
3) I used to want to be a waterfall when I grew up.
4) Later I decided to be a fairy when I grew up.
5) In college I used to write funny songs about my friends on my banjo for their birthdays.
6) I used to sing in a band called the Fabulous Pasties.
7) My first car was a 1987 Volvo wagon and I drove it for 10 years. It hit over 300K miles before I sold it. What a sweet ride.
8) Ballet was a huge part of my life growing up. (FYI, it's hard to find point shoes that fit size 11 feet - or it was back then...)
9) I once snuck backstage at a P-Funk concert in Baltimore and met George Clinton. He hugged me. 
10) I got a D on my take-home scratch-and-sniff test. I'm seriously olfactory impaired. 
11) I once went to Burning Man with tobacco executives.
12) I once sang Patsy Cline at a karaoke bar in Boston in exchange for a puffy Gortex jacket.
13) I went to the History of Sex museum in Tong Li, China. Chastity belts were for real, y'all. And foot binding? Yikes. 
14) I shelled garlic in the kitchen of the Golden Temple in Amritsar, India, with two Punjabi women, both named Sonia.
15) My mom wouldn't let me play with Barbie dolls because they are "sexist and unrealistic representations of women's bodies." 
16) When I was little my dad told us stories at night where my sister and I were super heroes and rode flying horses named Pegasus and Paragon. 
17) I'm in graduate school for Social Work and I love it.
18) My undergraduate degree was in Philosophy. I now work in the Philosophy Department at UNC. 
19) Yoga is my way of staying centered and present for my emotions, my body, and my purpose in the world.  
20) I LOVE teaching yoga!

No comments:

Post a Comment