Wednesday, August 21, 2013

We love our teachers!!!

Michelle Johnson
 
 
What is the best part about teaching at FSYC?
 The best part about teaching at FSYC is the strong sense of connection and community that is cultivated in and outside of the studio. When folks come to class and roll out their mats they see familiar faces and if they are new to the studio they feel the warmth and welcoming environment and return many times.  FSYC is connected to the community and encourages students and teachers to both practice on the mat and off of the mat by supporting causes that are important to us.
 
How have your students inspired you in your life?
The students make the studio and they push me to be a better teacher. What most inspires me is the openness to change. Students come in from various places, carrying emotional, physical, mental, or spiritual, baggage with them and by the end of the practice they dropped some of the heaviness.  I appreciate student’s openness to being transformed.  The students are FSYC are committed, we don’t see them one time a week, we see them multiple times a week, sometimes more than one time in a day and they are committed to their practice, growing, stretching, and learning.
 
Other than teaching how does yoga fit in to your life?
Yoga doesn’t fit in; it’s a way of living.  As I’ve practiced more and taught for a few years now, I realize how much yoga is a practice that we use off of our mats much more than on our mats. Yes, I show up for the physical part of the practice but what I most enjoy is the meditation, the quiet time. I appreciate the reflection and the burning away of layers of old stuff so that I can get to the truest sense of myself.  Yoga show up in how I greet someone in the grocery store, to how I walk down the street, meditatively or preoccupied. Yoga shows up when I am compassionate or when my mean part is showing up. Yoga reminds me of my dharma, duty, and when I stray away from my path my practice guides me back on the path, back to the truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment