Tuesday, August 27, 2013

We love our teachers!!!!

Laura Lazarus

What is the best part about teaching at FSYC?

I'm one of the newest FSYC teachers, but what I've appreciated most about teaching at the studio so far is similar to what I've cherished about practicing there for years: community.  The way in which members of the FSYC family love and support each other and also give back to the world around them inspires me to be more selfless and compassionate. When I walk into FSYC I feel at loved and at home.  When I leave FSYC I feel committed to sharing that love with the world around me.  

How have your students inspired you in your life?

My students inspire me to show up on my mat and in my life, no matter what a I may feel or a my practice may look like that day.  On any given day, the room is full of folks who are sleepy, energized, tight, injured, "beginner," "advanced," or in a funk.  But every single one of them showed up and the hard-work, perseverance, and dedication that each of them demonstrate by making that choice is the same. The rest is just shapes.  

Other than teaching how does yoga fit in to your life?

At the most basic level, I practice asana in some form every day.  In a broader way, however, yoga has become a part of who I am and how I approach the world every day.  In class, Lori often jokes that one day you might be frustrated and impatient waiting in line at the grocery store and before you know it, your "yoga breathe" will kick in.  This actually happened to me!  I was shocked.  When I first started practicing, I was somewhat of a yoga skeptic.  I appreciated asana, but wasn't sure that I wanted to let the practice into my life beyond the physical.  Over time, I learned that wasn't really in my control.  My practice has made me more present, compassionate, tenacious, honest, and at home in my own skin.  I'm continually surprised by the new lessons yoga has to offer.  Whether I wanted it to or not!  And I am truly grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment