Friday, August 30, 2013

We love our teachers!!

Sophia Giebultowicz

What is the best part about teaching at FSYC?

I love the variety of students that walk through our doors and how they all bring their own unique experience to the studio. It can take a a lot of courage to make it to the mat and to let go of whatever holds us back from feeling separate or isolated. Yet from the moment that we chant the first OM to the final "Namaste," I witness the students becoming one cohesive community, supporting each other with breath and presence. It serves as a constant reminder of the connection we all share---which can be especially helpful if you're sweating through lots and lots of Navasanas! On that same note, I also love teaching to a group of people who aren't afraid to work hard, laugh, and give their neighbor an encouraging high-five!

How have your students inspired you in your life?

When guiding a practice, I encourage self-compassion and remind my students to be okay with exactly where they are that day. Yet more than once I've neglected to do the same towards myself, especially in those situations away from the yoga mat. When I catch myself in a pattern of negative thinking or self-judgment, I realize that if my students can let go of these behaviors, I certainly can as well. 

Other than teaching how does yoga fit in to your life?

Practice, of course---but the philosophy of yoga has also become an integral part of my life. It's a way to cope with those curve-balls that come out of nowhere, like an injury (non-attachment to the physical practice), or feeling inexplicably blue (practicing contentment). In moments of crisis, I take a few deep breaths and tell myself that it's okay to surrender and trust in something greater, as long as I do the best that I can. And finally, during times that everything seems awesome and I find myself wondering what could go wrong, yoga reminds me to accept the impermanence of each moment, while also experiencing it with complete presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment